All the performers who canceled shows at Trump’s Kennedy Center – USA Today

Jan. 10, 2026Updated Jan. 11, 2026, 3:15 p.m. ET

A year into his second term, President Donald Trump is continuing his aggressive takeover of the newly named Trump-Kennedy Center for the Arts.

Beyond adding his own name to the storied performance institution, formerly known as the Kennedy Center and named after 35th President John F. Kennedy, Trump also installed Richard Grenell, his onetime envoy for special missions, as president of the center. Trump had previously complained about “woke” programming and “drag shows” performed there.

The changes have been met with resistance by some in the art world, who have decried the president’s rapid changes and withheld their own performances as a form of protest. Here’s a look at the musicians and creatives who have canceled shows at the Trump-Kennedy Center.

Bela Fleck joins growing list of cancellations

Nashville banjoist Béla Fleck announced in January that he would skip a scheduled performance alongside the National Symphony Orchestra as it had “become charged and political,” when “the focus should be on the music.”

‘Hamilton’ bows out of Trump-Kennedy Center performances: Full list

Fleck joined a growing class of performers who have refused to participate in events.

Other artists who have canceled or withdrawn include:

  • Issa Rae
  • Kristy Lee
  • Wayne Tucker
  • Brentano Quartet with Hsin-Yun Huang
  • Magpie
  • Doug Varone and Dancers
  • Comedy show “Asian AF”
  • Touring production of “Hamilton”
  • Chuck Redd
  • The Cookers
  • Stephen Schwartz
  • Rhiannon Giddens
  • Balún

Cast members from a performance of “Les Misérables” also boycotted an event.

Issa Rae also canceled a sold-out show at the venue.

Issa Rae poses on the red carpet during the Oscars arrivals at the 96th Academy Awards in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, U.S., March 10, 2024.

“Unfortunately, due to what I believe to be an infringement on the values of an institution that has faithfully celebrated artists of all backgrounds through all mediums, I’ve decided to cancel my appearance at this venue,” Rae wrote in an Instagram post at the time.

Wicked” composer Stephen Schwartz also announced in January that he had canceled plans to host a gala at the historic institution. The musical theater composer and lyricist told Newsday he was invited last February to participate in the Washington National Opera’s 2026 gala at the Trump-Kennedy Center.

But “it no longer represents the apolitical place for free artistic expression it was founded to be,” Schwartz said in a statement to Newsday. “There’s no way I would set foot in it now.”

Marc-André Hamelin’s recital with Maria João Pires was also canceled after Pires announced her retirement from performing because of health issues. The cancelation was not related to differences with the administration, Hamelin’s representative said.

Shonda Rhimes steps down from board of trustees

Shonda Rhimes resigned from the center’s board of trustees while Ben Folds and Renée Fleming stepped down as artistic advisors.

Contributing: Savannah Kuchar, Swapna Venugopal Ramaswamy, Joey Garrison, Anthony Robledo, USA TODAY; Audrey Gibbs, Nashville Tennessean

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *